Building Inspector

The City of New Holstein contracts the services of Cary Nate, Chief Building Inspector for the Town of Grand Chute, to provide inspection of all City Property. The building inspector can assist you with new homes, remodeling, commercial, electric, plumbing, and more.

If you need to contact Cary he can be reached at 920.901.0288 or via email at [email protected]

A property owner must obtain permits for any addition or change to the exterior or interior of a structure or for any type of electrical, heating, or plumbing work. Individuals constructing new buildings or taking over a new tenant space will also need to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy.

Common activities for which a permit is required (City of New Holstein Municipal Code Chapter 11) include:

Interior Areas
Move or create new interior walls
Alter a bathroom or kitchen
Install a new furnace, air conditioner or water heater
Install new electrical outlet(s)
Change the number of dwelling units
Install new windows or doors

Exterior Areas
Build, remodel, or add on to a structure
Build a new garage or shed
Build a new deck, patio, or screened porch
Replace siding or roofing on a structure
Install a new swimming pool (above, in-ground, or temporary)
Put up a fence
Submit your plans.
Plans are needed for most projects other than repairs or replacements. Additional plans may be required to projects that must go before the Plan Commission.

No building permits will be issued until all required documents are received:
1. Two (2) complete sets of building plans, including a site plan.
2. State-approved plans may be required for commercial projects, depending on the size of the project.
3. Verification of the current zoning district for the proposed building.
4. Site/grade elevation sheet.
5. Heat loss calculations.
6. Soil erosion control information.
7. Estimate of building cost and list of subcontractors with estimated cost of each.
Staff reviews your plans.
Small additions, garages, and other minor remodeling projects can often be reviewed at the counter at City Hall, otherwise most projects usually take five business days to review.

Pay the proper fees.
You will receive your permit once your plans are approved and all payments are received.

Complete your project.
You have 6 months to complete any work listed on the permit. Call for inspections as needed.

Cautionary Statement to Owners Obtaining Building Permits
Wisconsin Statutes requires municipalities to enforce the Uniform Dwelling code by advising, if a contractor hired to perform work under the building permit and is not bonded or insured as required, the following consequences might occur.

1. The owner may be held liable for any bodily injury to or death of others or for any damage to the property of others that arises out of the work performed under the building permit or that is caused by any negligence by the contractor that occurs in connection with the work performed under the building permit.
2. The owner may not be able to collect from the contractor any damages for loss sustained by the owner because of a violation by the contractor of one and two family dwelling code or an ordinance enacted, because of any bodily injury to or death of others or damage to the property of others that arises out of the work performed under the building permit or because of any bodily injury to or death of others or damage to the property of others that is caused by any negligence by the contractor that occurs in connection with the work performed under the building permit.
A property owner may need additional permits or approvals from other governmental agencies, which may include, but are not limited to:

Department of Commerce: building, HVAC, and plumbing plans for commercial buildings Zoning Department: sanitary permit, conditional use permits, airport special exception permit/aviation easement, variance, subdivision approval Sanitary District: sewer and water hookup
Department of Transportation: access permit, subdivision approval, storm water discharge permit, work in the right-of-way, highway setbacks for non-structural improvements. Highway Department: access permit, work in right-of-way Street Department: work in right-of-way
Department of Natural Resources: wetland or stream work permit, air quality permit, erosion control permit   Utility Companies: electrical easements, natural gas easements, cable TV, telephone
    Homeowners Associations: restrictive covenants, limits on accessory buildings, setbacks

Required inspections are listed below in the typical order of construction, though your project may not require all of them. Please call for an inspection at least 48 hours in advance. Be prepared to provide your permit number, name, address, and type of inspection requested.

Temporary Construction Power: meter socket, disconnect and ground fault protected receptacles

Footing Inspection: footing formed and any reinforcing steel is installed, prior to pouring concrete

Foundation Inspection: foundations walls poured, drain tile, gravel and below grade insulation is installed

Underground Plumbing: underground or under slab plumbing is installed but prior to cover

Frame and Roof Inspection: all walls, floors, roof and other framing installed

Electrical Service: before permanent meter is set

Plumbing Rough-In: after the above ground plumbing is installed

HVAC Rough-In: after vent and duct work is installed

Electrical Rough-In: after wiring is installed

Insulation Inspection: after insulation is installed, prior to installing wallboard

Drainage Plan Inspection: after final grading at building and lot corners

Final Inspection: after all work on approved plan has been completed.

If any violations are cited, they must be corrected within thirty (30) days. A final re-inspection will be scheduled. Occupancy will not be given until final inspection and a certificate of compliance is issued.